Verse of the Day

Friday, November 14, 2008

What poverty is in India...

Today, the Times of India carried an article titled "How poor is poor in city?" on the first page. On reading the article I discovered that a person earning above Rs.540 (i.e. approx 11 to $12) a month is tagged as not poor in Mumbai, and for rural India, it is just Rs.328 (approx $7). Can you even believe that! For $7,in America, you will only be able to buy a burger with fries and coke. That is one meal. And you expect someone to be considered above the poverty line because they are just earning this flimsy amount. If you aren't an Indian, then don't consider this to be a disparity in cost of living across the globe. This just shows how dumb the Indian government is, or maybe how low it can stoop, to manipulate number of poor persons in the country. I spend 500 bucks every time re-fuel my bike. I spend 500 bucks when I visit the mall/theatre etc. I spend much more than 500 bucks when I'm at a bookshop. And they call these people "Not poor"!! Like Captain Haddock would have said .. A bunch of Macrocephalic Two-Timing Tartar twsted baboons!!!

3 comments:

blogger said...

Nice one... :) keep blogging buddy...

Anonymous said...

I can't comment directly, since I've no experience or expertise on India, but the disparity between the poor and wealthy appears to be huge! We have people living on $7 a day, who are considered above the poverty line, yet many Indian families are able to send their children abroad for an international education. I can't even begin to comprehend.

Alistair said...

I agree. This enormous disparity exists. But I don't understand why the government wants to portray India as a country that is eradicating poverty successfully. What I would wont to say to the politicians; Be honest about your condition, and try working on improving it rather than pushing the skeletons under the table cloth.