Verse of the Day

Saturday, November 08, 2008

Trojans from Hell


Damn it! Im rewriting this post again because of the reason I am writing this post in the first place. What an irony! My damned PC seems to restart on its own without warning me, and the stupid blogger autosave feature did not kick in! Writing 2 paragraphs, and having to rewrite that again immediately is irritating, and that would still be an understatement. Is it a virus? Is it a hardware malfunction? is it a phantom playing tricks or is it one of my split personalities who kicks in for a second, hits the restart button and vanishes.

Around a year ago, my lappy was plagued with an army disgusting demented viruses and trojan horses (If I ever lay my hand on a virus writer...), all of different shapes, sizes, functions and names. They did not attack all together, but eventually. How they sneaked upon me, even I cant say, but they sure took me by surprise. It started off with little annoying problems like my cursor suddenly running about the screen uncontrollably, a couple of IE windows opening etc. Then the symptoms slowly started growing in magnitude. OS hanging, sudden restarts, not saving files when I save them, disabling certain softwares, making me, the admin user a guest user without any authority. All the other attacks, I bore silently. But taking away my admin rights was just too much. I had to fight back. But the trojan army was always one step ahead.

For starters they disabled all my anti virus software. They left me like an AIDS patient, without any immune system. My WBCs had been hijacked. I decided I wont give up, and gave up my PC to an expert. He started using his special anti-virus programs, his special tools etc. Some of them were terminated, but others still lurked. Some bold and defiant got detected, but could not be removed. Others craft and sly, lurked undetected (we realized this later). After my friend Richie toiled over my lappy, after hours of formatting and reformatting, he managed to clean up my laptop of all its crap. But in the bargain, I lost my genuine windows installation.

Now the ugly head of this black army seems to be slowly rising again. I did some virus scans, and updated my anti-virus. But the restarting problem still exists. Sometimes I wonder whether it is a hardware problem I'm dealing with here. Initially I absolutely had no clue about why may laptop used to go kapoot. But a couple of weeks ago, I found the trigger. Or at least I think I found it.

Whenever I press the arrow keys or the backspace keys in rapid succession, my lappy just goes out cold. Strange. I noticed this while playing Dink Smallwood (a postworthy game thats gonna get a post of its own soon). Whenever Dink had to slay a bonca or a slayer (considered to be dangerous enemies atleast early on in the game), he had to run about and make quick turns. That meant hitting the arrow keys in rapid alternating succession. Plonk! Out cold. This happened so many times that I stopped playing Dink for now. But the problem still persists. And as long as it does, I cannot play Dink! Damn!!

Anyways, Keep checking back to see what happened in the war between me & this unknown enemy of mine.

No comments: