Verse of the Day

Sunday, June 08, 2008

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008) - Movie Review

I was out shopping today, for a windcheater, with Ann & Sheril, on a day serial shoppers would drop their shopping bags in defeat. The day was painfully wet. And shopping on a wet day wasn’t really enjoyable, considering my allergy to shopping & to the monsoons. While making rounds of various shops in the Nirmal Lifestyle malls, we decided to take a break from shopping and go catch a movie. We didn’t have too many options.

a) Sarkar Raj
b) Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Not that I disliked the earlier Sarkar movie (I am a big Godfather fan), but Indiana Jones was the unanimous choice. We got last row tickets & started the adventure ride.

The movie starts out on the plains of Nevada, in 1957, where Jones is being carried captive by some Russian soldiers. The moment I first laid my eyes on Jones, I wished he was younger. If you have seen the earlier Indiana Jones movies, you will feel the same too. The ageing Harrison Ford looks a bit old in this movie. When watching an Indiana Jones movie, one would expect quite a bit of adventure and action from the protagonist. Ford in the movie, sometimes makes you wonder "How is he gonna do it?". But then Ford wasn’t all that young in Air Force 1 & The Fugitive. This also reminded me of Rocky Balboa. I haven’t watched the movie, but watching the trailer made me wish that Stallone hadn’t made this Movie. But in the end, Ford did a decent job with the action.

The whole movie revolves around the mystery of the Crystal SKull, some artifact that is actually some kind of alien skull with supermagnetic properties, and can unlock infinite knowledge. I wont tell you anything about the story, but what I can tell you is how the movie made me feel. The initial part of the movie bored me. Jones running around, and a nuclear explosion happening, and Jones hiding in a fridge, which gets thrown out of the radioactive area. It all seemed farfetched to me. Usually most of the Hollywood action/adventure movies are farfetched, but if the visuals are convincing (unlike Mithun movies) or entertaining enough, i dont mind. In fact I enjoy such movies. But this was not at all exciting or convincing.

Things changed though with the entry of Ray Winstone, a young face for a change. The bike chase really made me smile and sit up. One of the few good Bike chases I have watched on television. After this the adventure actually begins, something like a treasure hunt. The crystal Skull must be found and then returned to its original secret place which no one knows. The action and adventure sequences didn’t make me swoon, but it was entertaining all the same. There are some sequences where the characters are fighting each other across moving jeeps and trucks. Entertaining stuff, but the whole thing has more of a video-game feel. Looks artificial. Totally against the law of physics & practicality, but then served in Hollywood style, makes reason seem obscure enough to enjoy the whole thing. Falling off cliffs into trees, and multiple falls off waterfalls without a bruise though will make you wonder what is happening.

As the move rolls on towards the end, there were certain trap-doors and secret doors that open & corridors through which Jones and the other characters of the movie pass. I expected more of such stuff, but it was good enough. The end wasn’t all that great. Again I would rate it as average.

Considering it to be a Spielberg Movie & considering the quality of movies released these days, I expected more. In comparison with his earlier films this comes out as an average Special FX entertainer. The one thing I really liked about the movie was the ambience & the feel of the old Indiana Jones movies that this film gives.

I’d give the movie a B- rating. If you really wanna throw away your money, go watch it on the big screen, for very soon you will be able to watch it on Star Movies or HBO for free.

No comments: