Verse of the Day

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Archimedes


I was reading about Archimedes today. Actually it was link after link after link that I clicked that lead me to the same. It started of with reading about fluidized bed filters. After which I started reading something on 'venturi valves', that had a mention on the page, and the the 'Archimedes screw' was mentioned which finally lead me to the page of Archimedes the great. I have read about and heard about this fellow from a very young age, like most. But I distinctly remember reading something about him in 'Tinkle'. But Most of my memories were directly linked to the 'Eureka' episode, and nothing more. But on going through the wiki page on this person, I surely must say that few surpass his acheivements.

Following are some things Archimedes discovered/invented/defined:
1) The Golden Crown.
2) The Archimedes Screw.
3) The Archimedes heat ray.
4) Rigouros explanation on the Lever principle.
5) Used infitesimals in a way similar to modern calculus.
6) Many more things in maths that is difficult to list here.

I wont write much about him, as providing this Wiki Link should suffice. Go on, read it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimedes

No comments: